Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Guide An overview of Council Tax Support

Show all parts of this guide

1. About Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support (also known as Council Tax Reduction) is a local support scheme for anyone who is responsible for paying Council Tax for their home and unemployed or on a low income. This means the person (or their partner) whose name is on the Council Tax bill.

Like Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support is means-tested. This means that we need details about your income and capital to work out how much benefit to pay you.

Our scheme is for working age customers. By working age we mean anyone aged between 16 and State Pension Credit age. The scheme has the following elements:

  1. An 80 per cent limit on Council Tax Support. This means that all working age customers have to pay at least 20 per cent of their Council Tax bill.
  2. A savings limit of £8,000. This means that if you and your partner in total have savings and other investments over £8,000 you cannot claim Council Tax Support.
  3. Limiting Council Tax Support to a Band D Council Tax charge. This means that if you claim Council Tax Support and live in a Band E, F, G or H property the maximum Council Tax Support you can receive is 80 per cent of a Band D charge for the parish that you live in.
  4. An Exceptional Hardship Fund. The Exceptional Hardship Fund has been set up to help to limit the impact of the Council Tax Support scheme for our most financially vulnerable customers. To make a claim please download and complete the Exceptional Hardship Fund application form.

You can also view the Exceptional Hardship Fund policy.

For customers who have reached the age to claim State Pension Credit the Government has a national scheme,  which means that the above restrictions do not apply to pension age customers. The application process is the same for working age and pension age customers. You can still apply for Exceptional Hardship as above.