Guide An overview of Housing Benefit

Show all parts of this guide

9. How to appeal an Housing Benefit overpayment

If you think the amount of Housing Benefit is wrong and you want us to reconsider our decision or want to appeal against it, then you must do this within one calendar month of the date of the decision.

If we agree that the decision is wrong, we will change it and tell you. If the decision cannot be changed, we will write and tell you why. If you are still unhappy, you can appeal our decision. Your appeal will be heard by the HM Courts & Tribunals Service, who are independent of us. 

We will send you details of how to do this at the time.

You can ask us to look at our decision about:

  • if we can recover the overpayment or not
  • who we can recover it from
  • how we have calculated the overpayment

You can't ask us to look at:

  • if we should recover the overpayment
  • how we choose to recover the overpayment