Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are for people receiving Housing Benefit or the Housing Cost element of Universal Credit who need extra financial help because their benefit does not cover their full rent.
Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button.
DHP is normally only paid for a limited period. You can find out more in our DHP policy.
We cannot pay DHPs:
- for service charges not covered by Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
- when your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit payments are suspended
- to cover a shortfall that is caused by the recovery of an overpayment of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
If you also have a shortfall between your Council Tax and Council Tax Reduction, you can apply for a Exceptional Hardship Fund payment (EHF) on the same form.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- your total household income
- you and your partner's savings
- you or your partner's loans or debts
We will write and tell you our decision. If we award you a DHP, our letter will tell you how much we will pay and for how long. We normally pay your DHP with any Housing Benefit.
We may require you to attend a money advice appointment.
You have to apply online. There are no paper forms.
If you don't have a computer, you could visit Devon Libraries.