The rates you pay on your business property is calculated by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). If you think the current rateable value for your property is wrong you can
- appeal to the VOA and ask them to correct the details you think are wrong
- appeal to the Valuation Tribunal if you and the VOA can’t agree.
You must continue to pay your rates during the appeal.
Telling the VOA about material changes to your property may affect the rates you pay as they’ll look at how it affects the rental value and whether this means the rateable value needs to be adjusted. A material change is a physical change to part or all of your property and can include:
- changes to how the property is used
- new developments in the area
- new roads or changes to access routes