Guide Street trading consultation

Show all parts of this guide

2. What we used to do

We used to have prohibited streets, consent streets and uncontrolled areas:

  1. Consent Streets – people have to apply to us for consent to trade on consent streets
  2. Prohibited Streets – This involves the majority of our streets. No street trading is allowed in these areas even if anyone thinks that it should be or if they would like to hold an event there.
  3. Uncontrolled - Where an area is not a prohibited or consent street we can’t control the street trading that goes on there.

1. Consent areas

Currently only six areas in the district are consent streets where we can give permission for people to trade on the streets:

  • Bath Road, Exmouth
  • Part of Northcote Lane, Honiton
  • Trinity Square, Axminster
  • Esplanade from Fisherman’s Gap to Beach Road, Seaton
  • The Square, Seaton
  • Esplanade and Promenade, Sidmouth

2. Prohibited areas

Most of the remaining more centralised streets in Exmouth, Honiton, Seaton and Sidmouth are prohibited streets, so street trading can’t happen there even if we, the town or parish council and/or the community want it to happen.

3. Uncontrolled streets

All other streets and areas not mentioned above, including Budleigh Salterton, Ottery St Mary, villages, more rural areas and less central areas of Exmouth, Honiton, Seaton and Sidmouth are currently all uncontrolled. There is no control over any of the street trading in any of these areas.


*Honiton High Street and a part of Axminster town centre have ancient charters that allow their regular markets to take place. The current rules as above and any changes do not apply to these areas as the charters exempt them from being controlled by more modern legislation.

Food and drink traders

The fact that street traders that sell food and drink must register their business with us at least 28 days before they trade, and let us know where their goods will be kept at all times will not change under these proposals. This applies to catering businesses and mobile or temporary premises. They may be inspected at any time by one of our food safety officers to make sure they are obeying food safety laws.