Click on the START button below to begin the claim process
Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) - 5 January to 15 February 2021
Funding is available for businesses with fixed costs which have been financially significantly affected by the period of national restrictions from 5th January to 15th February 2021, and which are ineligible to apply for the Local Restrictions Support Grant - (Closed) Addendum. See the full Government guidance.
The ARG supports two categories of businesses, as detailed in Government’s ARG Guidance for Local Authorities:
- businesses which were legally required to close during this period of national restrictions and which do not pay business rates (see the list of businesses required to close); and
- businesses which were not required to close during this period (rated or non-rated), but which
- were still severely impacted (can evidence a drop in turnover of more than 30% compared to a more representative period of trading); and
- can evidence fixed non-domestic business costs of £250 or more per month (e.g. rent, rates, equipment hire, marketing, insurance, licensing etc.)
Business which meet this criteria from any sector can now apply for the second round of the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG2).
As before, we particularly encourage businesses that are within or supply the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors to apply, as well as businesses in the events sector and taxi operators licensed by EDDC.
Existing ARG Beneficiaries from Previous Rounds
If your business received the first round of the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG1) covering the period of national restrictions 5th November to 2nd December 2020, you will receive an email or letter with an access code. This will allow you to submit a shortened application form for the current period of national restrictions. The form will be pre-populated with information you have provided in your last application. You must declare any changes in your trading circumstances, costs or bank details for the period 5th January to 15th February 2021 prior to submitting your application.
The following businesses will not be eligible for the scheme:
- Businesses which can obtain a grant for the 5th January to 15th February period of national restrictions under the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum scheme
- Businesses which have already received grant payments that equal the maximum levels of State aid permitted under the de minimis and the COVID-19 Temporary State Aid Framework
- Businesses that were in administration, insolvent, where a striking-off notice had been made or were not trading normally immediately prior to the 5th January 2021
- ‘Home sharing’ businesses, buy to let properties and premises that are used for personal use only (for example, riding stables) are not eligible
ARG Policy Updates: - 5th January to 15th February 2021
The existing Policy document was designed for the previous November 2020 national restrictions.
Please note the following specific updates to the ARG Policy:
- Period of Cover: The current round of ARG funds will initially cover national restrictions from 5th January to 15th February 2021 (42 days)
- The deadline for submitting applications for this round of ARG2 is 5pm on Thursday 11th March 2021. The Council reserve the right to close the scheme earlier should the allocated funding be exhausted
- Home based applicant businesses in East Devon must be registered with HMRC and provide their Company Unique Taxpayer Reference as well as a copy of their most recent tax return
ARG2 and Top Up Grant Award Levels
The amount of grant funding depends on individual circumstances and rateable values. Payment of this grant covers a six week period from the 5th January to 15th February 2021.
The Government has also made available additional discretionary funding to offer Top Up grants, which are a one off payment in addition to the ARG award. The one off Top Up grant is also based on whether you are registered for business rates or not. Each ARG award and Top Up grant award will be combined into one payment.
|Total payment for 42 days (5th January to 15th February 2021)||ARG2 Award||Top Up Grant Award|
|Where the business has been required by Government close and is not subject to non-domestic rating; or where the business suffers a significant financial impact and is not subject to non-domestic rating;||£1,401||£2,800|
|Where the business suffers a significant financial impact and is subject to non-domestic rating; RV £0 -£15k||£1,401||£2,800|
|Where the business suffers a significant financial impact and is subject to non-domestic rating; RV £15 -£51k||£2,100||£4,200|
|Where the business suffers a significant financial impact and is subject to non-domestic rating; RV £51k+||£3,150||£6,300|
Further ARG Funding Rounds (from 15th February Onwards)
It is expected that the ARG will be extended to cover the remainder of the national lockdown (from 15th February onwards) after Government announces its roadmap to easing lockdown restrictions. Further access codes will be issued to all successful ARG1 and ARG2 applicants once dates are known for any further ARG funding.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
We recommend you collect all of the details below before starting your application.
You will need to input at least one reference number. Some of these will only be applicable for certain types of business.
o Unique Tax Reference Number (you will need to supply a copy of your latest Tax Return if this number is imputed)
o Company Registration Number
o Charity Number
o Business Rates Account Number
o Council Tax Reference Number
o VAT Number
Homeworkers and sole traders are required to provide their Unique Tax Reference number and a copy of their most recent tax return.
You will need to input your bank detail. These will need to match the bank statement that we also ask you to upload.
o Bank name
o Bank sort code
o Bank account number
All applicants must provide business bank statements from January 2021 and either December 2020 or January/February 2020 if representative of normal trading.
If you are applying as a business who has been ‘severely impacted’ you will need to include evidence of this. Secondly, as a severely impacted business you will need to provide evidence of your fixed business costs. Two documents evidencing different fixed business costs are required in completing this application. This could include:
o Utility bill
o Tenancy/lease agreement
All applicants will need to include at least one of the following:
o Bank Statements from January 2021 and either December 2020 or January/February 2020 if representative of normal trading.
o Evidence that you supply a sector which was forced to close
o Evidence that one of your suppliers was severely affected and this impacted on your ability to trade
o Evidence that you had been severely impacted by a lack of footfall, visitors, guests, participants, etc
Please be patient while we process grant applications, as we are experiencing a huge surge in demand. If you have queries, please check the frequently asked questions, as we are unable to receive queries by telephone. Only where ARG queries are not addressed in the FAQs, ARG Policy and ARG Government Guidance should specific enquiries be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every claim will be subject to anti-fraud assessment and account verification. Attempts to fraudulently claim public grant funding will result in funds being recovered and legal action being taken in every instance.
The grant can be accessed through a secure online application form.