The Christmas Support Payment is for wet-led pubs which mainly serve alcohol rather than food and have been severely impacted from 2nd December until 29th December, due to temporary local restrictions. Eligible businesses which successfully apply before 31st January 2021 will receive a single payment of £1000.
In law, there is no definitive description of a traditional pub or public house which can easily be used to confirm eligibility. However, for the purposes of this grant, pubs should under normal circumstances:
- be open to the general public
- allow free entry, other than when occasional entertainment is provided
- allow drinks to be bought at a bar and without food.
This definition of a pub excludes: restaurants, cafes, nightclubs, hotels, snack bars, guesthouses, boarding houses, sporting venues, music venues, festival sites, theatres, museums, exhibition halls, cinemas, concert halls and casinos.
For this purpose, a wet-led pub is defined as a pub that derives less than 50% of its income from sales of food. To be eligible, pubs will need to evidence through accounting information that less than 50% of income is derived from food sales. These accounts should be dated no later than 11 March 2020.
Businesses established after 11 March 2020 and before 01 December will still be eligible for this grant. In this case, accounting evidence for the period of time the pub has been open which shows less than 50% of income is derived from food sales, will be required.
Businesses which are in receipt of other Local Restrictions Support can also receive this payment.
Before applying, please read the government guidance to make sure you are eligible for the Christmas support payment for wet-led pubs.
You can also read the guidance for local authorities.
You can apply if:
- your business is in an area subject to Tier 2 or Tier 3 local restrictions, from 2nd December until 29th December 2020
- in normal trading times the business receives less than 50% of its income from the sale of food
- you were established in the pub before 1 December 2020.
You cannot apply if your business:
- in normal trading times receives more than 50% of its income from the sale of food
- has exceeded the permitted state aid threshold
- is in administration, insolvent or has been struck off the Companies House register.
The grant award is at the discretion of the council, the decision of East Devon District Council is final. There is no right of appeal. You must notify the Council if your situation changes and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
You will need the following information to complete this form:
- your business rate reference (eight digit number beginning with a 3)
- your VAT number/UTR code/company number or charity number
- your latest full bank statement covering the November 2020 trading period - this can be a photo or screenshot but must clearly show the name on the account, your sort code and account number. This will be the account into which the payment will be made if your claim is successful
- accounts dated no later than 11 March 2020 or any other evidence to confirm that less than 50% of your income comes from sales of food.
We will process your Christmas Support Payment application as quickly as possible.
Final applications must be received by the 31 January 2021.
If we have any questions about the information you have provided we will contact you directly.
We will notify you by email of the outcome and if successful we will make the payment by BACS transfer to the account details you have provided.