The order to stay at home can cause anxiety for those who are experiencing or feel at risk of domestic abuse. Domestic abuse is unacceptable in any situation, no matter what stresses you are under.
For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, it is important to remember that there is help and support available to you.
What is Domestic abuse?
Domestic abuse is more than physical violence. It can also include, but is not limited to:
- coercive control and ‘gaslighting’
- economic abuse
- online abuse
- verbal abuse
- emotional abuse
- sexual abuse
Where to get help
- Call 99
- Call the National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247. This number is free and available 24 hours a day.
- Women’s Aid
- Men’s Advice Line : 0808 801 0327
- Galop: If you are a member of the LGBT+ community, Galop runs a specialist helpline on 0800 999 5428 or email email@example.com
- Economic abuse: Please see the advice provided by HM Treasury on what support is on offer. The charity Surviving Economic Abuse has also provided additional guidance and support
Full guidance can be found on GOV.UK.
Domestic abuse safe-accommodation settings
The Government has also published guidance on isolation for domestic abuse safe-accommodation settings.
This guidance is to support the management of survivors of domestic abuse and their children who are cared for in domestic abuse safe accommodation settings, including emergency safe accommodation. This guidance covers:
- specialist refuge/safe accommodation (shared house)
- specialist refuge/safe accommodation (self-contained units with some shared spaces)
- dispersed, self-contained accommodation with support
- move-on accommodation
- properties within Sanctuary Schemes or with other enhanced security measures
Devon and Cornwall Police
Police and partner agencies are working together to raise awareness around a potential increase in domestic abuse incidents as a result of people being isolated at home. Messaging is designed to provide reassurance and signposting to help and advice.
See the Devon and Cornwall Police website for more information.