4. Justification for market supplements
When considering market supplements, the Strategic Management Team will apply the following criteria to help reach a conclusion.
Recruitment and retention difficulties
- Confirmation of whether or not the post is identified in the Workforce Development Plan as hard to fill due to national skill shortages.
- Evidence of a poor response to adverts both in terms of quantity and quality of candidates. To qualify, a job will have had to be advertised on at least one previous occasion with an unsatisfactory response. The Strategic Lead for Organisational Development and Transformationwill follow this up to establish the reason for the poor response as this may not be about salary levels – it could be due to other factors.
Labour and turnover levels
- Evidence of high staff turnover in the last 12 months demonstrated to be linked to salary levels. This will be evidenced through exit interviews.
- Evidence collected by Human Resources that demonstrates more substantial remuneration packages are available for the specified post (or group of identical posts) within the appropriate local, regional and national marketplace.
- At least three examples of comparable jobs, salaries, total package and summary of main duties will be required. The Strategic Lead will research this with Human Resources.