5. What must a petition include?
Petitions must include all of the following:
- at least 25 signatories;
- a clear and concise statement covering the subject of the petition and which petition type it is (cf to section 3.1 above). It should state what action the petitioners wish the Council to take;
- where it is a physical petition the subject matter of the petition on each page;
- Sufficient information to be able identify that the organiser and/or any signatories live, work or study in East Devon;
- Physical or verified virtual signature of any person supporting the petition; and
- contact details, including a phone number and address, for the petition organiser – this will be the person who we will contact to explain how we will respond to the petition.
The Council will accept electronic petitions provided the above requirements are met.
The Council may also ask for such additional information as it may require in order to confirm that the petition complies with the requirements of this scheme.
The Council’s Monitoring Officer may decline to accept:
- any petition where in his opinion the petition does not satisfy any of the above;
- any signatory where insufficient information has been provided to demonstrate that the person lives, works or studies in East Devon. This process may determine that the petition is determined to be a different type of petition than the basis upon which it was submitted.
You may find this petition template helpful.