1. Introduction to the policy
This policy is based on the district council responsibilities under:
- The Care Act 2014 in particular Sections 42 to 46 related to safeguarding
- The Children Act 2004, specifically Section 11 which places a duty on key people and public bodies, including district councils, to make arrangements to ensure that their functions are discharged with regard to the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children.
- The Counter Terrorism Act 2015 section 26 which places a duty on certain bodies, in the exercise of their functions, to have due regard to the need to prevent people from becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism. The Prevent Agenda is one of four strands which makes up the Governments counter-terrorism strategy.
- The Modern Slavery Act 2015.
- The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 in particular Part 10 relating to forced marriage.
- The Serious Crime Act 2015 particularly Part 5 relating to female genital mutilation, child cruelty and domestic abuse.
- The policy is written with reference to the principle of Think Child, Think Parent, Think Family.