12. Priority three: Delivering and promoting our outstanding environment
As well as delivering our day-to-day services, our focus is on achieving the following successful outcomes:
● Protection and enhancement of our natural and built environment.
● Abundant leisure opportunities and quality open spaces.
● Controlling pollution of the air, land and water via education and appropriate enforcement of environmental legislation.
● Further reductions in the waste that East Devon produces.
Over the life of this Council Plan we will take the following actions to deliver these outcomes successfully:
● Enter into a new innovative recycling and waste collection contract extending the options for recycling and reducing waste that is incinerated or sent to landfill.
● Use the consultation feedback from the trials to roll out this recycling and waste service across the district.
● Adopt a Green Space Strategy, the purpose of which is to value and help protect our natural environment.
● Progress the actions and priorities set out in the Playing Pitch Strategy to deliver sufficient and flexible, good quality playing pitches.
● Adopt Beach Management Plans for our beaches working closely with town councils and manage the risk of coastal erosion and flooding.
● Expand our countryside offer with a diverse range of events and activities on our green and open spaces.
● Deliver high quality green infrastructure as part of new developments as a minimum in accordance with policy requirements.
● Implement a programme of fuel efficiency measures for council properties.
● Monitor and where it is possible to do so, improve the quality of private water supplies, bathing water and the air we breathe.
● Explore opportunities for securing a Blue Flag for the beaches in East Devon.
Services which support East Devon’s environment include:
● Keeping our streets and countryside clean and attractive by dealing with litter, graffiti, dog fouling and fly tipping and taking action against those who break the rules.
● Collecting your residual waste and recycling and helping you to recycle more.
● Maintain our parks and gardens to a high standard, and ensure that the features and activities encourage users to enjoy the facilities.
● Supporting the Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Jurassic Coast partnerships to realise the environmental assets of our district.
● A countryside team that engages volunteers and local communities in managing our local nature reserves to help our wildlife flourish.
● Working to help promote East Devon’s outstanding natural environment as a destination for nature based tourism and providing income for the local economy and local jobs.
● Working with our partners for the Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Jurassic Coast to help promote East Devon’s outstanding natural environment as a destination for nature based tourism and providing income for the local economy and providing local jobs.
● Valuing, protecting and managing our tree stock through education, advice and enforcement.
● Maintaining our wide range of assets (from play areas to bridges and beaches) in good condition.
● Working with our partners to support the management of flood risk and progress identified schemes that reduce the risk.
● Maintaining a programme of inspection of potentially polluting businesses and investigate complaints, concerns and polluting incidents reported to us.
● Providing property search information to ensure potential purchasers have all the necessary environmental and other official details made available to them.