Guide Apply for Council Tax discounts and exemptions

Show all parts of this guide

1. Apply for or cancel a single person discount

If you are the Council Tax payer, please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button.
If you are not the Council Tax payer please email giving details of any change.

You are entitled to a 25 per cent discount on the Council Tax on your home if

  • you are the only person over the age of 18 years and it's your main residence

If you are currently claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you need to tell us that you are applying for or cancelling a single person discount this way:

By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to a single person discount. To falsely claim a discount is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.

You will need your Council Tax account number if you contact us.

Data Protection

Find out about our Privacy Notices and how we will use information about you

Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • Your postcode
  • Your Council Tax account number
  • If you qualify for the discount, we will send you a revised bill.
  • If you do not qualify, we will notify you by email, phone or letter.