Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button. You can apply for most exemptions online.
Before you start the application, it will save you time if you know
- which exemption is the right one for your circumstances
- whether you need to provide proof
- which exemptions cannot be applied for online. For these, please email us
Take a look at the different exemptions now.
By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to an exemption. To falsely claim an exemption is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- the Council Tax account number for the property you want to claim the exemption for. You can get this from the Council Tax bill
the address of the property where you are applying for the exemption
your correspondence address. Where you are declaring that the property is empty we need a different address where you can be contacted. Your claim for an exemption will be invalid without a correspondence address
- when applying for class U exemption, please download the medical declaration before you start to complete the online form. You need to get the doctor of the severely mentally impaired person(s) to sign it
If you qualify for the exemption, we will send you confirmation by way of an exemption notice.
If you do not qualify, we will notify you by email, phone or letter.
You have to apply online. There are no paper forms.
If you don't have a computer, there’s access to the web through Devon Libraries.