Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button. You can apply for most exemptions online.
Before you start the application, it will save you time if you know
- which exemption is the right one for your circumstances
- whether you need to provide proof
- which exemptions cannot be applied for online. For these, please email us
Take a look at the different exemptions now.
By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to an exemption. To falsely claim an exemption is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.
Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of administering Council Tax.
- Your information may be provided to a third party acting on our behalf in administering Council Tax.
- Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.
- Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.
There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice which can be accessed at eastdevon.gov.uk/privacy
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- the Council Tax account number for the property you want to claim the exemption for. You can get this from the Council Tax bill
the address of the property where you are applying for the exemption
your correspondence address. Where you are declaring that the property is empty we need a different address where you can be contacted. Your claim for an exemption will be invalid without a correspondence address
- when applying for class U exemption, please download the medical declaration before you start to complete the online form. You need to get the doctor of the severely mentally impaired person(s) to sign it
If you qualify for the exemption, we will send you confirmation by way of an exemption notice.
If you do not qualify, we will notify you by email, phone or letter.
You have to apply online. There are no paper forms.
If you don't have a computer, there’s access to the web through Devon Libraries.