Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Guide Council Tax discounts and exemptions information

Show all parts of this guide

1. Single person discount

You are entitled to a 25 per cent discount on the Council Tax on your home if

  • you are the only person over the age of 18 years  and
  • it's your main residence

Sometimes you can still claim a single person discount even if other people live with you. This happens when the other person or people who live in the household are disregarded - or aren't counted.

How to apply

By law you must tell within 21 days of any change that may affect your entitlement to this discount. To falsely claim a discount is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.