1. Council Tax (Energy) Rebate Discretionary scheme
On 3 February 2022, Government announced funding for local authorities to support people with the rising costs of energy. The official guidance allows for a discretionary scheme to be administered to those who may require extra support through a top-up payment, or to help those who were not entitled to the £150 payment under the main scheme. East Devon District Council has been allocated £269,850 for the discretionary fund.
As part of our Financial Resilience work and the distribution of some of our discretionary payments such as the Household Support Fund, Discretionary Housing Payments and Exceptional Hardship Fund for Council Tax, we have been using data to help identify those residents who are likely to be finding it hardest to deal with the rise in the cost of living, and will benefit the most from either a top-up or full payment of £150.
If you are in one of the below groups you will be shortly receiving a letter inviting you to make a claim.
Please ensure you look after your letter as you will need the access code included to make your application and receive your payment.
- In receipt of Council Tax Reduction and are living in a band E-H property
- In receipt of Council Tax Reduction and are receiving a disability benefit or carer’s allowance or premium.
- Receiving a Council Tax disregard or discount on your Council Tax account due to a disability or because you are a carer.
Please wait for your letter and your access code before calling us or making an application. If you have not received a letter by 26 September 2022 please let us know by using our contact us form.
Once you have received your letter with your access code you can claim your Discretionary Council Tax Rebate by pressing the blue start button below.
After you've submitted your application it may be the case that we need further information from you in order to process your claim. Please keep checking your junk and spam folders for any messages from us.
If you are not in one of the above groups you may still be able to make an application for a payment from the discretionary fund. For example you may be entitled to a payment in the following circumstances.
- You are living in a Band A-D property and did not receive your £150 from the main scheme as you did not become liable for the Council Tax until after the 01 April 2022. Please note that you must not have received a payment of £150 for any previous address.
- You are living in a House of Multiple Occupation and are responsible for paying your own energy through a meter.
- You have not received a payment from the main scheme because you are living in a Band E – H property, you have less than £6,000 in capital and your weekly household income is less than one of the following amounts (amounts are linked to our current Council Tax Reduction income bands).
Maximum weekly household income, no dependents in household
Maximum weekly household income, one dependent in household
Maximum weekly household income, two or more dependents in household
Please be advised that you must be liable to pay energy costs to claim a discretionary payment. You are able to make a claim by pressing the blue start button below.
For further details about our discretionary scheme please see our policy.