22. What is the Adult Social Care element used for?
Adult social care authorities are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014.
These are namely:
- county councils in England,
- district councils for an area in England for which there is no county council
- London borough council
- the Common Council of the City of London
- Council of the Isles of Scilly.
The Secretary of State made an offer to adult social care authorities.
This was the option of an adult social care authority being able to charge an additional 'precept' on its council tax without holding a referendum, to assist the authority in meeting its expenditure on adult social care from the financial year 2016-17.
It was originally made in respect of the financial years up to and including 2019-20. If the Secretary of State chooses to renew this offer in respect of a particular financial year, this is subject to the approval of the House of Commons.
The Adult Social Care budget is managed by Devon County Council.