Guide Council Tax refunds information

Show all parts of this guide

1. Council Tax refunds

If your Council Tax account is in credit we can:

  • transfer the money to another Council Tax account or
  • refund by BACs

Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button

You may not be able to have a credit transfer or refund if you have other Council Tax and business rates debts or overpaid Housing Benefit with us.

If the Council Tax was paid by Direct Debit the refund will usually be paid back into the bank account the payment(s) were from.

Before you start

Only complete this form if:

  • you are named on the bill or
  • you have written permission/legal authority to act for someone named on the bill and have provided evidence of this. The legal authority could be through a Power of Attorney, the Court of Protection or an authority to discuss.

Data Protection

Find out about our Privacy Notices and how we will use information about you

Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • Your Council Tax account number(s)
  • Your bank account details if you require a transfer to a bank. If this bank account is only in one person’s name but the
  • Council Tax account was in two or more names then you will need to provide written agreement from everyone named on the bill that they are happy to have the refund paid into this bank account. Without written agreement you may not receive the whole amount.

Once we receive your completed form we will make sure we refund the correct amount of money by checking:

  1. any Council Tax Support entitlement
  2. if a Direct Debit payment has been recalled (not paid by the bank)
  3. any band change with the Valuation Office
  4. any bills where there are more than one person named where's it not a 50/50 split