Scheme 3: Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund
The second round of Scheme 3 will be open for online applications from 12 noon on the 6th July to 5 pm on the 17th July 2020.
The first round of this funding saw 190 applications. These applicants will be contacted by East Devon District Council in the coming days and advised whether they have been successful or not, or whether they need to provide more information.
In the second round, local priority businesses of any size and number of employees can apply and applicants do not need to be registered for business rates. Applicants will need to provide evidence of high ongoing fixed property costs of at least £200 per calendar month and provide evidence which shows the business has suffered a major fall in income due to the Covid-19 crisis.
To check your eligibility for Scheme 3, please ensure you have read all of the information provided here (including the linked policy documents) before making any enquiries or completing an application for this grant.
Please carefully read the following documents before you make an enquiry or start preparing for your application:
East Devon policy: this sets out the approach approved by Councillors of the Local Authority Discretionary Grant Fund.
You can read more information in the specific guidance that Government have issued to Local Authorities.
Businesses must meet all of the following criteria:
- Trading on 11 March 2020
- Have high fixed business premises costs. These must be a minimum of £200 per month.
- Can evidence significant financial loss as a result of Covid-19
- Are not eligible for other business grants (specifically, the small business grant; retail, hospitality and leisure grant; fisheries support fund; domestic seafood supply scheme or dairy hardship fund).
A range of grants will be available: £1,000, £2,500, £5,000, £10,000 and £25,000 with all businesses required to meet the same evidence based tests of eligibility. The following business types (as defined in the policy above) will be prioritised for funding support, in line with Government requirements:
- Small businesses in shared offices or other flexible workspaces, e,g. industrial parks, science parks, incubators etc, which do not have their own business rates assessment.
- Regular market traders who do not have their own business rates assessment.
- Bed and Breakfasts which pay Council Tax instead of business rates.
- Charity properties in receipt of Charitable Business Rates Relief which would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief.
In addition to these national fund priorities, the Council has decided that it will accept applications from local businesses which:
- Fall within the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors or who can evidence the majority of their customer base are retail, hospitality and leisure businesses.
- Language schools.
- Considered a special case where the business is most relevant and crucial to the East Devon economy.
Businesses who have applied for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme or the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS) are not excluded from being able to apply for this scheme.
Those not eligible for funding under this scheme include:
- Businesses which were not trading on 11 March 2020
- Businesses that were in administration on 11 March, insolvent, or where a striking-off notice has been made
- Businesses eligible for other Government funding schemes (EXCEPT furloughed Job Retention Scheme and the Self‐Employed Income Support Scheme)
Evidence and supporting documents
Before you start you will need to bring together various details and evidence.
Please ensure you have all the information required in digital format, shown in the checklist before you start your application.
Any applications submitted for a non-eligible business will be considered invalid.
By completing the form below, I understand that all applications for grants may be reviewed in the future and I am aware that if I make a statement which I know to be false or do not believe to be true to the best of my knowledge then I may potentially commit a criminal offence. I understand that East Devon District Council is committed to the prevention, detection and investigation of any allegations or indications of fraud and will seek to apply criminal, disciplinary, regulatory and civil sanctions where allegations are proven. This includes the recovery of identified losses to ensure that all Public Purse resources are used for their intended purpose.
The Discretionary Grant Fund is an online only process. If you have read all of the information provided here and still have a specific enquiry in relation to an application please contact us via email, stating your business name in the subject line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Officers at the Council will be working as quickly as possible to process the claims and cannot respond to each business with individual updates, so businesses are asked to remain patient and a response will reach you as soon as possible.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
Please see checklist provided above.
Applicants to this scheme will be contacted as soon as possible.
There are no other ways. This is an online application.