Guide Ways to vote

Show all parts of this guide

6. Overseas voters

If you are a British citizen living abroad, you can apply to be an overseas voter. You must have been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years and be eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary general elections and European Parliamentary elections.

If you were too young to register when you left the UK, you can still register as an overseas voter. You can do this if your parent or guardian was registered to vote in the UK, as long as you left the UK no more than 15 years ago.

You can now register to vote as an Overseas Voter online

 There are a few ways you can vote as an Overseas Voter.

Voting by post

If you live abroad you can apply to vote by post, although you must be registered individually.

You can find more information about postal voting, and download the application form at

Download the form to apply for a postal vote.

Please note: Postal votes are sent out about 10 days before polling day and will need to make sure that you have time to return your ballot paper to us by polling day. If you don't think you can return it in time, you may want to consider voting by proxy.  

Voting by proxy

If you're abroad you can apply to vote by proxy (someone voting on your behalf). You must be registered individually, and the person you wish to appoint as your proxy must also be registered individually.

 Download the form to apply for a proxy vote as an Overseas Voter