We are responsible for:
- Inspection and enforcement of food safety legislation in food businesses
- Registration of food businesses
- Following up complaints about food sold or manufactured in the area
- Investigating cases of food poisoning and infectious disease
- Fish inspection and port health duties
- Food sampling
Food safety officers inspect food premises according to the risk they pose. There is a Code of Practice produced by the Food Standards Agency which states how often each food premises will be inspected.
In addition, the food safety team provides a number of services to assist local businesses. These include:
- Producing food safety guidance and leaflets on food safety issues
- Advising food proprietors on their legal duties and how to meet them
- Seminars and workshops on food safety issues
You can also find a lot of information on food safety, hygiene, nutrition and national issues on the Food Standards Agency website.
Devon and Somerset Trading Standards enforce trading standards, checking specifically the nature, quality and labelling of food.