If you supply animal products, (meat, dairy, poultry, fish or shellfish, eggs etc) or foods with animal products in, (pies/pasties, sandwiches, cakes, quiches, dried/smoked/fermented meat products etc) you may need to have your business approved.

Approval is not necessary if you are mainly selling to the final consumer and you only supply small amounts of animal products to other food businesses in your local area, or for some food products which contain plant as well as animal ingredients.

You can speak to a food officer to see if your business qualifies for any of the exemptions.

If your business is of the nature or size that needs to be approved, you are committing an offence to supply animal products to other food or retail premises without approval. If you contact us and we have not replied within 14 days, please contact us again.

If you are planning to supply other businesses with animal products, we recommend you contact us for a visit so we can advise you on what you need to do to comply with the license requirements while you are still at the very early stage of planning. 

There is no charge for applying for food premises approval.

You must also tell us if you want to change what you are approved to do.