Guide Horse riding establishment guidance notes

Show all parts of this guide

2. Legislation

  1. Planning / building control legislation
    For both new and existing riding establishments it is necessary to obtain planning permission in the following instances:

    1. To use the premises as a Riding Establishment
    2. To erect new stables or other buildings on the site
    3. To change the use of all or part of the premises, for example, where part of a farm is to be used as a riding centre

    When planning permission has been gained it will be necessary to submit detailed plans for building regulation approval if the proposals involve substantial alterations, new build or major drainage works.

  2. Requires that anyone operating a riding establishment must obtain a licence from the local authority for the area where the premises are located.
    The licence is renewable annually.
    A 'riding establishment' is defined as 'the carrying on of a business of keeping horses to let them out for riding, or for use in providing instruction in riding for payment or both'.
    A satisfactory veterinary surgeon’s report on the premises is required prior to the licence being issued.

  3. Food Safety Act 1980
    If catering for staff and/or customers is provided at the premises, it will be necessary to comply with food hygiene regulations which stipulate standards for construction and finishes in food rooms, facilities, hygiene practices and staff training.