We can deal with many  types of noise complaints from residential or commercial premises. If you are unsure, we would recommend making contact with us in person or by telephone first. We can then discuss the process with you personally and you can then decide whether or not to formalise your complaint. We may suggest using mediation as a way forward.

If you consider your complaint to be of an urgent nature, please contact our "out of hours" service on 0330 678 2382 after 5pm or weekends. Please note that the Council does not operate a dedicated out of hours noise service. Your call details will be recorded and passed to Environmental Health to respond the next working day.

We do not consider anonymous complaints unless there are exceptional circumstances.

In the current situation we are prioritising our work and it may be some time before an officer can respond to enquiries. Please bear with us.