The Control of Pollution Act 1974 enables a local authority like us  to serve a notice on a person (this includes a company) who is carrying out, or who are planning to carry out, works of construction, demolition, road-works, railway maintenance in order to control the noise from those operations.

The act also enables such a person to apply to the local authority for a consent in respect of such works. 

The application must contain particulars of (a) the works to be carried out and (b) the steps proposed to be taken to minimise noise resulting from the works. 

The consent may include conditions.