Guide Flooding advice

Show all parts of this guide

3. How do I get sandbags?

If you think your property could be at risk from flooding and may need sand bags, contact your local town or parish council. Each year your town or parish council put in a request for the number of sand bags it believes it needs for use in the event of flooding.

We no longer provide sand bags directly to householders. During extreme weather, it is more practical and effective for sand bags to be distributed from lots of localised reserves run by the town or parish councils rather than try and distribute them from one or two locations over roads that may be flooded or blocked by fallen trees or debris.

Please note: Sand bags are delivered only as empty bags, they are not pre-filled. It is the householders responsibility to fill their sand bags.