As part of the planning permission for the development we will expect you to enter into a legal agreement, known as a section 106 agreement, which sets out how much affordable housing will be provided, the tenure type, and who can be considered for the housing. 

In some cases, particularly for housing built on exception sites, there will be strict criteria for who can be allocated the affordable housing and it is usually only for people who are able to show that they have a local connection to the area.