Guide Private Rented Sector

Show all parts of this guide

1. Rent Deposit Scheme

What is the Rent Deposit Scheme?

The Council will utilise the Rent Deposit Scheme (RDS) to enable people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to access private rented sector accommodation when they do not have the funds to secure this themselves.

EDDC offers a Deposit Bond and an affordable loan for the Rent In Advance. We can also offer a cash deposit if the letting agent/landlord prefers.

Your Housing Officer will refer you to the Private Sector Liaison Officers once you have been offered a private rented property to start the application process.

What is a bond?

A Deposit Bond is a written agreement between East Devon District Council, the landlord and the tenant.  A Deposit Bond is put in place instead of a cash deposit and will guarantee money to the landlord up to the value stated on the Deposit Bond agreement. Unlike a cash deposit as per The Tenancy Fees Act 2019, the bond amount can be negotiated with the Private Sector Liaison Officers. Following the end of a tenancy, the landlord can make a claim to the Council for any damages or rent owing up to the value of the Deposit Bond.

How the scheme works

Prior to tenancy commencement the Council, the landlord and the tenant are required to sign the Deposit Bond agreement.  The Council will ensure that tenants applying for the RDS have had a financial assessment completed in order to ensure that they can afford the property and that financial hardship is not expected going forward.

Applying for the scheme

Anyone who is homelessness or threatened with homelessness can apply for the scheme. It is the responsibility of the prospective tenants to seek accommodation and advise landlords that they will be utilising the RDS.  The Private Sector Liaison Officer will liaise with both tenant and landlord to ensure that a Deposit Bond is in place prior to tenancy commencement and that all parties have a copy of the signed Deposit Bond agreement.

How long is a bond valid for?

A Deposit Bond starts on the tenancy start date and ends on the last day of the tenancy.

First months rent

People who are homeless or threatened with homelessness can also request assistance by way of a loan to pay for rent in advance.

Tenancy support

Landlords and tenants benefit from a dedicated member of the Housing Options team who will carry out checks throughout the tenancy (within the first 6 months of the tenancy).  The Private Sector Liaison Officer can address any issues raised at an early stage to prevent things from escalating.

We will:

  •  Work with tenants to maximise their income
  •  Support tenants to transition over to UC
  •  Resolve arrears issues
  •  Partnership working with other Council departments where necessary
  • Support landlords with their legal obligation

Making a claim

Claiming for rent arrears or damages to a property is a simple process, landlords are required to complete an application form and provide necessary evidence. We aim to process all bond claims within a maximum of three weeks from initial bond claim to issue of payment.  Although in most cases this will be achievable within a much shorter time-scale.

Contact us;

If you are at threat of homeless; call the Housing Options Team on 01395 571660 or

Your Housing Officer will refer you to the Private Sector Liaison Officers when you have been offered a property;

Tina James; 01395 571562 & Stephanie Phillips-Clark; 01395 571555 or