If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year - you require a licence from us.

Conditions may be attached to a licence and will include:

  • The type of camping including tents, caravans, for example, residential, static holiday or touring
  • The number of tents/pitches, caravans that can be on site per acre/hectare and the spacing between tents/pitches, caravans
  • Water supply and drainage, toilets and washing facilities
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations

Licence summary

There are exceptions for organisations that hold camping, caravan club exemption certificates. Please contact us to discuss any exceptions.

We will normally issue a licence unless:

  • There is no planning permission for the tents/pitches, caravan(s), or
  • The planning permission is to expire within 6 months, or
  • The applicant has had a site licence withdrawn in the previous three years

Application evaluation process

Applications must be in writing or via the online form, should detail the land the application concerns and include a site plan at 1:500 scale and any other information required within the application by us.

We will process your application before it can be granted. We normally issues a licence within two months of receiving the application.


If you have been refused a licence you may appeal to a local magistrates court.

You may appeal against a condition attached to a licence to a local magistrates court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the licence being issued.

We may alter conditions at any time but we must give the licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If the licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the local magistrates court. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the alteration and a notice of appeal must be served on us.

Trade associations

The following trade associations may be useful:

British Holiday & Home Parks Association (BH&HPA)

British Resorts and Destinations Association

Caravan Industry Training (CITO)

National Caravan Council (NCC)