Guide Grants and loans

Show all parts of this guide

2. More Information on Disabled Facilities Grants

The next step

Once a referral to the Council has been received we will contact the applicant to complete the financial means test and an application form.

How much grant you get depends on your:

  • Benefits received
  • household income
  • household savings over £6,000

The mandatory DFG grant will pay for the reasonable cost of works and fees up to a Maximum £30,000.

Important points to know

  • Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property.
  • You will not get any grant if you start work on your property before the Council approves your application.
  • The grants may have to be paid back if you own the property and the property is sold within 10 years - if there is a land charge attached.
  • You must intend to live in the property for the next 5. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.
  • The applicant is responsible for ongoing repairs and maintenance after the works are completed.
  • The applicant’s home insurance company and mortgage provider should be notified as applicable.


You or someone living in your property must be disabled. Either you or the person you’re applying for must:

  • Own your home, live with family, rent from a private landlord or housing association.
  • intend to live in the property during the grant period (which is currently 5 years)
  • You can apply for a grant if you’re a landlord and have a disabled tenant.

Disabled facilities grants are subject to statutory financial means test with the exception of cases where the works are for the benefit of a child (up to 16 years old) or a young person who is under 19 years and is in full time education and those on a passporting benefit.

More information about the DFG website

Passporting Benefit

Adult DFG applicants who are in receipt of one of the following benefits will be ‘Passported’ to receive the reasonable cost of the eligible works and fees, without undergoing a financial means test.

  • Income support
  • Income based job seekers allowance
  • Income related employment and support allowance (non-contribution based)
  • Guarantee pension credit
  • Working/Child Tax credit – income (for tax credits) below £15,050
  • Housing Benefits
  • Universal Credit

East Devon District Council tenant’s must contact 01395 517458 – Housing repairs, 

Planning and building regulations approval.

Planning permission, listed building consent or building regulations approval will be required.

The council may employ a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work. If you get a grant, you can use it towards the cost of their fees.