Energy Performance Certificates

From 1 October 2008, if you are renting out your property, you will need to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to any prospective tenant. There is no need to obtain an Certificate for an existing tenancy, but if you begin a new tenancy after 1st October you will be required to supply a certificate for your property.

A surveyor will work out a score based on things like the type of heating supplied, the age of any boiler that might be installed, whether you have double glazing, cavity wall insulation, and so on. You will then receive a rating such as the one shown and a list of recommended measures that would raise the score:

This particular rating shows that this property has a score of 55, but if the recommended measures are implemented the score would be improved to 66.

The more energy efficient the property is, the less money the tenant has to spend on heating.

Once obtained, a certificate remains valid for up to 10 years. If a valid Energy Performance Certificate still exists when changing tenants no new certificate is required – however the EPC should in most cases be made available to prospective tenants (see below). This applies to both private and social sector landlords and tenants.

In the event that a tenant makes a complaint to the Council regarding their rented accommodation you may be asked to produce a copy of your certificate and for your intentions regarding the upgrades that might be required

For further information on EPCs please visit the Energy Performance Certificates page on GOV.UK and the Guidance on Energy Performance Certificates for the marketing, sale and let of dwellings on GOV.UK.