What can landlords and letting agents do to ensure that the fire safety standards in their properties are acceptable?

New national guidance on fire safety in residential accommodation was formally launched on Wednesday 23 July 2008. The guidance has been developed by LACORS in conjunction with the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) and the Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA).

The guidance applies nationally and covers certain existing residential accommodation including single family dwellings, shared houses, bedsits and flats. It is not aimed at new housing built to modern Building Regulations.

The guidance adopts a risk based approach to fire safety that will satisfy both the Housing Act 2004 and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. It includes guidance to landlords on how to carry out a fire risk assessment. The guidance is equally relevant to landlords, managing agents, local councils and fire and rescue authorities. The guidance applies to both the private and social housing sectors.

Download a copy of LACORS Fire Safety Guidance

Further guidance

More fire safety guidance and advice can be found at these links:

Fire safety risk assessment: means of escape for disabled people

Do you have paying guests?

NICEIC technical library

What should tenants do if they think the fire safety standards in their accommodation are inadequate?

They should inform the landlord. If problems persist and further advice is needed, contact the Private Sector Housing Team at or 01395 571572.

Who to contact?

Our Private Sector Housing Team will be pleased to offer further advice to landlords and tenants alike. They can be contacted on or 01395 571572.

In emergency phone 999 straight away or for more fire advice contact Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service or by phone on 01392 872200.

For information and advice about fire safety in your home you can also visit the DirectGov website