Guide Tenant rights and responsibilities

Show all parts of this guide

8. Insurance cover and home insurance for council tenants

We insure our council dwellings and in the event of fire, lightning, storm or flood we would claim on our insurance for the cost of repairing or rebuilding the property. We do not insure any contents that belong to you or any improvements that may have been carried out by you. We strongly urge that you have your own contents insurance.  Contents insurance is available from a number of insurance companies.

Home Contents Insurance

Why do I need it?

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Crystal Home Contents Insurance

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

10 Reasons to choose Crystal Home Contents Insurance

•             Apply over the telephone or complete an application form

•             No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)

•             Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks

•             Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)

•             Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2000)

•             Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible

•             Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen

•             You don’t need to have special door or window locks

•             All postcodes are included

•             Flexible regular Pay-As-You-Go payment options


Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Allianz Insurance plc. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording , which you should read carefully.

Based on the information which has been provided to you if you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact Thistle Tenant Risks.

How do I get further information?

If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can do so by completing an application form  or by calling Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7286. Alternatively, visit for more information. Prior to completing the application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement  and Insurance Product Information Document . These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover.  Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

Complaints Process

Thistle Insurance Services always aim to get things right first time and we are committed to ensuring that we achieve the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, we would like to hear about it so that we have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve our service in the future. Your complaint will be reviewed promptly and fairly by an independent party to the complaint itself.


How to complain

If you wish to raise a complaint you can contact us by telephone, email or in writing. Details can be found in your policy documentation or below:


Address: Thistle Tenant Risks

Thistle Insurance Services Limited

Southgate House

Southgate Street




Telephone: 0345 450 7286



To help us investigate and resolve your complaint, please provide the following:

  • Your policy number;
  • Details of your complaint
  • Your contact details and your preferred      method of contact - these will help us should we need to discuss your      complaint or require further information.


Our Process

We will promptly acknowledge your complaint and we will try to resolve your complaint immediately. If this is not possible, we will write to you within 5 days informing you whether further investigation is necessary.


In the event that your complaint has not been resolved within 4 weeks of its receipt, we will contact you again and provide an update; the reasons why and the further action we will take.


If following our investigation and response to you, you are not satisfied with the outcome or we do not complete our investigation within 8 weeks, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Services (FOS).


If you receive a final response letter from us and you are dissatisfied with the outcome and you want to contact the Financial Ombudsman Services (FOS) you must do so within 6 months of the date of our final response letter.


Their contact details are shown below, and we will include a copy of the FOS leaflet with our final response letter.


Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
Harbour Exchange Square
London E14 9SR

Telephone: 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9123


If you have purchased the insurance policy online, you may also raise your complaint via the EU Online Dispute Resolution Portal at