Any report to us is confidential and we will not tell the person causing the nuisance who has made the complaint. We will visit or write to the person causing the nuisance and keep you informed of the action we are taking or give you advice as necessary. We will work with other agencies such as the police, youth service and NHS to try and resolve the problem. If the nuisance behaviour persists, we may take legal action for a breach of the conditions of the tenancy agreement (if a council tenant is involved). However, we will always try to persuade the other party to behave reasonably before any court action is taken for possession. Anyone who is evicted for anti-social behaviour is likely to be classed as intentionally homeless -  so would be unlikely to be re-housed by the council or other registered providers of social housing.

Where we consider taking legal action, we will need on going evidence, such as log sheets, giving precise details of incidents which have occurred, to enable us to build up a case to present to the court. We may also take enforcement action under the anti-social behaviour legislation, or a Housing Act injunction to stop undesirable behaviour. Where there is a dispute between neighbours we may recommend mediation to resolve the differences. This is paid for by us but carried out by independent trained mediators who will work to find common ground between neighbours.

In the case of loud music, we can take action for a breach of the tenancy agreement. In addition, where the noise is deemed to be a statutory nuisance, environmental health officers can serve an abatement notice, and if this is breached, can apply to the court for a warrant to seize the offending equipment.

The Chartered Institute of Housing, the Social Landlords Crime and Nuisance Group and HouseMark have now jointly introduced the ‘Respect – ASB Charter for Housing’. We have signed up to this and are working to achieve the standards in this charter. 

Nuisance caused by pets such as constantly barking dogs and birds that create a noise are most easily sorted out by talking to the owner. However, if you are uncomfortable doing this because you think the dog may be aggressive you should contact the estate management team who will investigate the situation.