The handy person service provides an experienced tradesperson who can do minor repairs or improvements to tenant’s homes for free. These are jobs which we, the council, would not normally carry out.

Who is it for?

The service is available for residents of our sheltered accommodation, residents on our individual garden maintenance scheme, or residents in other accommodation who are over 70 or have a disability and receive one of the benefits listed below;

  • Attendance allowance
  • Disability living allowance
  • Personal independence payments
  • Incapacity benefit
  • Mobility allowance
  • War disablement allowance
  • Industrial injuries benefit
  • Income support including the disability premium.

The service is there to help residents who do not have any relatives or friends close by who are able to help.

What jobs are covered?

The jobs undertaken by the handy person could be minor work which would normally be the tenant’s responsibility, for example:

  • changing a light bulb, re-fixing plugs, resetting trips and fuses
  • draught proofing
  • bleeding radiators
  • minor fence repairs
  • minor plumbing repairs including plumbing in a washing machine

The handy person can also help with other small day to day tasks such as:

  • putting up shelves or curtain poles
  • assembling small flat pack furniture items
  • putting up pictures

What jobs are not covered?

  • Decorating
  • Garden maintenance & planting of shrubs
  • Major or complex plumbing and electrical work

How do I apply?

You need to register for the scheme by ringing 01395 517533 or emailing

When you have a job for the handy person just ring our repairs service on 01395 517458 or email