If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the complaint.  

Customer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Premises issues

If you have a complaint about public nuisance such as excessive noise you can contact our environmental health service on 01404 515616.  If you have an urgent problem after office hours then you can telephone their out of hours number: 0330 678 2382.

If you have a complaint about crime and disorder at a premises you can contact your local police on 111 or, of course, dial 999 in the case of an emergency.


Please contact us by telephone or email if you want to tell us about an issue with a licensed premises.

Further steps

A responsible authority or any other person can in certain circumstances apply for a review of a current premises licence or club certificate if the premises does not promote the four licensing objectives: 

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Following a review a premises may have conditions added to their licence or in extreme cases be closed down.

If you want to call for a review of a premises licence or club premises certificate you will need to read our guide to a review.