What is a temporary event notice?

Temporary event notices (TENs) are for temporary events involving activities which would normally have to be licensed under the Licensing Act 2003.  TENs allow an event organiser to notify us, the police and our environmental health service of small scale events that involve licensable activities which need to be authorised. 

These events can be held at a premises where there is already a premises licence or club premises certificate or they can be used to licence an unlicensed premises.

How does it work?

A temporary event notice (TEN) can authorise licensable activities at an event lasting for seven days or less that is for under 500 people. 

The licensable activities are:

  • The sale or supply of alcohol
  • Plays or films
  • Indoor sporting events, boxing, wrestling
  • Live and recorded music
  • Performance of dance
  • Provision of late night refreshment (hot food and/or drink between 11pm and 5am)

Providing the notice notice has been served correctly and meets the criteria laid down in the Licensing Act, the event may go ahead unless a counter notice is served.  A counter notice would be served following objections from the police or our environmental health service or for exceeding the limits listed below.

Please note that objections can only be received from police and environmental health and not members of the public.

What you can do without a TEN

There are certain types of entertainment that you don't need a licence for under the Licensing Act 2003 and please do contact us if you would like further information about this.

How to apply

If you want to carry out any of the licensable activities on a temporary basis then you can serve a temporary event notice.

Please read our frequently asked questions about temporary event notices before you fill in the form as this will help you avoid common mistakes that may result in your notice being rejected.

You need to meet the restrictions and timescales below.

Allow plenty of time to organise your event and submit a TEN. The police and environmental health service can object to a TEN if they feel the event will undermine any of the four licensing objectives. 

Restrictions and limitations

Limitations on events under a TEN:

  • No more than 499 people at any one time for each event.
  • Each TEN can last up to 168 hours (seven days).
  • You must be over the age of 18 to serve a temporary events notice. 
  • You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation. 

If your event is for more than 499 people, will last longer than 7 days or doesn't meet certain other limits for temporary event notices, you may instead need to apply for a time-limited premises licence to authorise the licensable activities. In this instance we recommend you contact us by email at least 6 months before any event to discuss this further and start the application process.

Number of notices you can apply for

You'll need a separate TEN for each event you hold even if it's on the same premises.

You can serve up to five TENs a year (of which two may be late notices).

If you have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can serve up to 50 TENs a year (of which 10 may be late notices).

A single premises can have up to 15 notices (increased to 20 notices per year in 2022 or 2023) applied for in one year, as long as:

  • the total length of the events is not more than 21 days (increased to 26 days per year in 2022 or 2023). Please note: events that carry on after midnight will count as two days.
  • the person serving the notice doesn't exceed the amount of TENs they can serve in a year.
  • There must be a minimum of 24 hours between each event notified by an event organiser at any premises.
  • Multiple TENS can be submitted at the same time but each event is a separate TEN with a separate fee payable. The limits set out above cannot be exceeded.

Where premises are available for hire by organisations or individuals for their own events, premises owners and operators must be aware that TENs submitted will be counted under the limits set down in the Act.  It is therefore recommended that a booking agreement is used to make sure that all TENS made in respect of premises are made with the agreement of the premises owner or operator. This is particularly important for village halls and similar premises.


Standard TENs

The law states that you must serve your notice on us at least 10 clear working days before the event (not including the event day and the day the notice is served).

Late TENs

In exceptional circumstances the law allows us to accept a TEN submitted between five and nine working days before the event (not including the event day and the day the notice is submitted).

Late TENs should only be used in exceptional circumstances as you run the very real risk that the event may not be able to take place if we receive an objection to the notice. If that happens then we have no alternative but to serve a counter notice on the notice giver. If that happens you will not be authorised to provide licensable activities at the event as the law doesn't allow for an appeal with a late TEN.

Displaying your licence

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Length of licence

A TEN will only authorise you to provide licensable activities during the times you have given on the form.



If you have an issue with a licensed premises there are different people you should contact depending on the problem.  

Public register

You can search for and view upcoming temporary event notices on our online public register. You’ll need to select Premises Register under the Licensing Act heading on the left of the screen and search by applicant surname or premises name/address or postcode.