Please read our information about small society lotteries before you apply.
How to apply
If your non-commercial society wants to run a small society lottery you'll need to register this with us.
You'll need to fill in an application form and send this to us.
You'll need to know:
- the details of the society applying and whether they are a registered charity
- if the society has held an operating licence or had an operating licence refused or revoked
- contact details for correspondence
Start the journey
More info about the journey
If your society is a charity you'll need to know the registered charity number.
You'll need a form of statement to complete after the collection as explained above.
When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone you if there is anything else we need.
If your registration is granted you will receive this in the post.
We will only refuse an application for any of the following reasons:
- in the previous five years either an operating licence held by the applicant for registration has been revoked or an application for an operating licence by the applicant has been refused
- the applicant is not a non-commercial society;
- a person who will or may be connected with the promotion of the lottery has been convicted of a relevant offence; or
- information provided in or with the application for registration is false or misleading
If we feel that the registration should be refused then a hearing must be heard before members of the licensing sub-committee unless all parties agree this isn't necessary. The society will have a chance to speak at the hearing.
After the hearing we'll write to you with the decision.
What you can do if you haven't heard from us
If at least 35 days have passed since you gave us your completed application and you haven't heard from us you can act as though your application is granted.
If you are submitting your application by post then this will only apply when you can show proof of delivery from the Post Office or a recognised courier.
Time scales for processing an application do not start until all the necessary information has been received in full
Length of permit
A small society lottery registration will last indefinitely.
You'll need to pay an annual fee each year that is due no later than the anniversary of the registration.
What you can do if your application is unsuccessful
Please contact us in the first instance:
The Licensing Manager, East Devon District Council, Knowle, Sidmouth, EX10 8HL
Tel: 01395 517410
If an application for a registration is refused you can appeal.
All appeals must be made to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision:
North and East Devon Magistrates Court, Southernhay Gardens, Exeter, EX1 1UH
Tel: 01392 415300
You can deliver your application to our offices.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to us about your application then please telephone to make an appointment.