Please read our information about temporary use notices before you apply.

How to apply

You’ll need a temporary use notice (TUN) if you want to use a premises, temporarily, to provide facilities for gambling.

You will need to fill in a paper version of a notification form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office. Paper applications can be requested by emailing the team at

We'll need to receive this at least three months and one day before the gambling event will take place

We'll need to know:

  • the activity you want to carry out
  • the premises details
  • the date and times when you want the notice to have effect
  • if you have had any other temporary use notices during the previous 12 months


You'll need to hold a relevant operating licence issued by the gambling commission to be able to apply. 

Responsible authorities

You'll need to send a copy of the notice on:

  • the Gambling Commission
  • the police
  • HM Customs and Excise

They'll need to receive this no later than six days after the date you gave it to us. You can find their contact details in our guide.


You'll be charged a fee for this application. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.

Data Protection

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the licensing service to process your use notice and administer any notice received.  Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions.  Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.  Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.  There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing.  Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant privacy notice.