You’ll need a temporary use notice (TUN) if you want to use a premises, temporarily, to provide facilities for gambling that are not licensed under a premises licence.

You can only use a temporary use notice to provide facilities for any form of equal chance gaming where the game is intended to produce a single winner, for example,  poker tournaments.

Equal chance gaming is where:

  • the participants are not involved in playing or staking against a bank, and
  • the chances are equally favourable to all participants

How to apply

If you want to use a premises temporarily for equal chance gaming, you can fill in a paper version of the form and send it to us in the post or bring it into our office. Paper applications can be requested by emailing the team at


  • To be able to apply for a temporary use notice you will need hold a relevant operating licence issued by the gambling commission
  • The same premises can only have a maximum of 21 days in total authorised by a temporary use notice in any 12 month period

Displaying your licence

You must display the temporary use notice at your premises where it can be easily seen during all times that the specified activity is taking place.

Police, council officers or gambling inspectors can ask to inspect the notice.

Length of licence

The temporary use notice will only cover the specified activity at the premises during the times and dates stated.


Further information about gambling licences and how to apply is in our guide to applying for premises licences and our statement of licensing policy for gambling.



If you have an issue with a premises that is licensed for gambling then you can tell us about this. Please telephone us or send us an email. 

Public register

You can view details of existing gambling premises licences and a list of current applications on our licensing public register.