You can apply to renew your hackney driver's licence for either 1 year or 3 years.
How to apply
Before applying to renew your hackney carriage driver licence you'll need to make sure that you can still meet the conditions of our hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy.
You'll need to let us have your renewal application at least a month before your licence expires. Documents can be sent via email to email@example.com or by post to Blackdown House, Border Road, Honiton EX14 1EJ.
What you'll need to provide
- A completed and signed hackney carriage driver renewal application form containing:
- A DVLA check code which lets us view your driving licence history online. We have to check this once a year. The check code is case sensitive so we'll need you to tell us which characters are upper case and which are lower case. The check code only lasts 21 days before it expires, and can only be used once so please do not 'test it out' before providing it to us.
- A 9-digit tax check code from HMRC. This is to check that you are registered with HMRC for Tax and Self Assessment, if necessary, and is now required by all authorities as part of the renewal process. You’ll need to provide this check code every time you renew.
- Documents that demonstrate your right to work in the UK. The Immigration Act 2016 now means that we have to check that all applicants for a hackney carriage driver's licence have the right to work in the UK. The list of documents that are acceptable can be found at the back of the application form. If you've completed the right to work check before you won't need to do this again unless your right to work in the UK is not indefinite.
We'll let you know in your renewal letter what other documents you'll need but this could include:
- A recent passport sized photograph that is a true likeness of yourself - you only need to let us have a new photo if your appearance has changed.
- A criminal records check reference number. We have to carry out an enhanced criminal record check known as a DBS check for each of our hackney drivers every 3 years. We use a company called uCheck to provide these checks.
If you are due to have a DBS check, you'll need to make an appointment to bring in 2 forms of identification so that we can countersign your DBS check. The main documents acceptable for this are either your passport or original full birth certificate and a bank statement or utility bill which is less than 3 months old. You'll also need to pay the fee of £67.
- A medical report. All existing hackney drivers will need to have a new medical report completed at the age of 45 years. Drivers who are over the age of 45, will need to have a medical report completed every 5 years until the age of 65. Drivers who are over 65 or, who have a relevant medical condition, will need to have a new medical report completed every year. Your GP will need to complete a medical report form to assess your health and certify you as fit to drive a taxi. You'll be sent this form with your renewal letter if a medical is due.
Any fees you have to pay to complete these requirements are non refundable and are paid at your own risk. We can't consider your renewal application if any of your documentation is out of date.
Please be aware that although we try and remind all of our drivers when their licences are expiring, this is your responsibility and you must make sure your renewal application is given to us in good time with all necessary documentation. If your licence has not been renewed before the expiry date, you'll have to apply for a new driver's licence and complete all of the checks that a new driver has to.
You'll need to pay a fee to renew your hackney carriage driver's licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of the Licensing Service to process your hackney carriage licence application(s) and administer any licence(s) which are granted. Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes. Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary. There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
Before we can consider your application, we'll need to have:
- your signed and completed application form.
- The application fee. This can be paid by cheque, cash or card.
- Documents demonstrating your right to work in the UK
You may also need to let us have any of the following documents if they are due for renewal:
- A DVLA check code
- A DBS check. If this is due you'll need to start the application online and let us have the reference number and two forms of original identification
- A medical report
We can't consider your application until we have all of the documentation we need. The licensing officer looking after your case will let you know what is outstanding.
Once we have all of the information we need, your driver's licence will either be renewed by a licensing officer or it may need to be considered by the licensing sub committee. If your application needs to be considered by the licensing sub committee we will let you know and you'll be sent notice of hearing documentation so that you can attend the hearing.