More than £6.2million has been paid out to East Devon residents through the council tax (energy) rebate scheme.

So far, 89 per cent of the eligible households have now received their £150 payment to help with the rising cost of energy bills, with East Devon District Council (EDDC) paying out to more than 41,500 households.

There are still around 5,000 eligible households which have not claimed their rebate, these are residents who do not pay their council tax through direct debit and live in a council tax band A to D home (or E if you receive a disabled band reduction).

EDDC is now urging everyone, who hasn’t, to claim as soon as they can. This money does not need to be paid back, so you have nothing to lose by claiming!

The quickest way to apply is through EDDC's online form however if you don’t have access to the internet or are struggling to complete the form, you can call the council directly.   

Over the next two weeks EDDC will be sending reminder letters to all eligible households who haven’t yet applied. If you have misplaced your letter or haven’t yet received one, this letter will include all the information you need to claim your £150. If you do not want to claim the rebate, please let us know so we can save time and money by not contacting you. You can let EDDC know through its online form.

Please remember the money can either be paid directly into your bank account or it can be taken off of your bill.

Councillor Jack Rowland, EDDC’s portfolio holder for finance, said:

It is vital that anyone eligible for the £150 rebate claims it before the scheme closes in September.

We are all seeing the impact that inflation and the related price increases are having and this money will go a little way in helping. If you can’t access online please just give the team a call as they are there to help you.

There have been additional schemes recently announced to help people struggling with the rise in household bills, which are not being administered by Local Government. For more information on other ways you can get financial help visit