Guide Planning and Biodiversity

Show all parts of this guide

5. Development Licence

If the proposed development is going to impact a protected species such as bats, dormice, otters, great crested newts, or badgers, you may need a wildlife licence from Natural England. Your ecological consultant will provide advice on this as it is separate to the planning process.

Please note the LPA has a legal duty to consider the same licencing tests under the Habitat Regulations when determining planning applications. This is one reason that ecological surveys cannot be conditioned, unless in exceptional circumstances such as those in BS42020:2013 (section 9.2.4), and sufficient information is provided regarding proposed mitigation and compensation measures.