Guide Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Show all parts of this guide

2. What types of development will be liable to pay CIL?

In East Devon, only residential and retail developments are liable to pay CIL. Development that creates less than 100sqm of new floorspace is not chargeable. The only exception to this is a new dwelling which is chargeable, whatever the size.

 The following types of development will be liable to pay CIL:

Residential development of one or more dwellings through new build or conversions even if less than 100sqm;

  • The establishment of other residential floorspace such as house extensions, loft conversions, and other ancillary buildings such as stores, conservatories, garages if over 100sqm (or less than 100sqm if it contributes to the creation of a new dwelling);
  • Annexes capable of occupation independent from the main house (even if less than 100sqm);
  • Retail development over 100sqm outside of Town Centre Shopping Areas. Charging Zone Interactive Map