5. East Devon District Council Recycling and waste collections
East Devon District Council’s collections for holiday lets are the same as collections for domestic properties and we use the same vehicles. Most properties have their recycling and food waste collected every week, and their wheelie bins collected every three weeks.
Save money with a smaller bin
Wheelie bins are only for waste that can’t be recycled. We can provide several sizes depending on what’s required. These sizes are 180 litres, 240 litres, 660 litres or 1,100 litres. The bigger the bin, the more it costs. If your guests can be encouraged to recycle as much as possible you may be able to choose a smaller bin and keep your costs down.
Here are the containers we use:
- Green recycling box: for paper, cardboard, glass bottles and jars, small electrical items, textiles and shoes.
- Green recycling sack: for mixed plastics (not film), food and drink cartons, tins and cans, empty aerosols, aluminium foil and foil trays.
- Outdoor food caddy: for food scrapings, fruit and vegetable peelings, meat (raw or cooked), tea bags or coffee grounds. Top tip: keep the caddy fresh by putting food in a plastic bag, compostable liner or newspaper.
- Indoor food caddy: A handy smaller container for keeping indoors, like on a kitchen worktop. This caddy can also be kept fresh by lining it with any plastic bag, compostable liner or newspaper. For the same things as the outdoor caddy.
- Wheelie bins: Waste that can’t be recycled