We are committed to supporting regeneration in the town to create more jobs through the growth of tourism, especially green tourism, along with improving social and community facilities. Seaton Wetlands, Dorset and East Devon World Heritage Site (Jurassic Coast) and the surrounding exceptional coastline are key environmental assets that support the town.
The Seaton regeneration area lies between Seaton town centre, the seafront, Axmouth Harbour, the Axe riverside and Seaton Marshes. The public and private sector are working together with community organisations on several schemes designed to give this historic East Devon town a world-class visitor offering and a vibrant retail centre. Much has been achieved in the town since 2011:
- A new Tesco store opened in 2011 creating 190 jobs
- 220 new Bovis Homes have been built
- The new £4m Seaton Jurassic Visor Centre opened in 2016
- A new 75 bed Premier Inn Hotel opened in March 2018
- Seaton Tramway have opened a new terminus
- Planning permission for Seaton esplanade improvements
- A new gym, retail and housing development opened in the town centre in 2017
- Improvements and new resources are in place at Seaton Wetlands
- Improvements are taking place on the on the Stop Line Way cycle path that will eventually link Seaton to Axminster and onward to the Bristol Channel.
The Council no longer has a formal role in facilitating the delivery of regeneration in Seaton but a Seaton Regeneration Forum meets on a quarterly basis, currently chaired by Cllr Marcus Hartnell.