On 3 March 2021, Government announced the introduction of grant support for non-essential retail, hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym businesses in England. Details of the announcement can be found here www.gov.uk/government/news/budget-2021-sets-path-for-recovery
This support will take the form of a one-off grant funding scheme in Financial Year 2021-2022. The scheme is called the Restart Grant and is administered by billing authorities in England.
The amount of grant funding businesses will receive is based on your business sector and dependent on the current rateable value (RV) of your premises.
Non-essential retail premises with one-off grants of up to £6,000 in Strand One of the Restart Grant. The following thresholds apply for these businesses:
- A rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £2,667.
- A rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £4,000.
- A rateable value of exactly £51,000 or over on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £6,000.
Hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym business premises with one-off grants of up to £18,000 in Strand Two of the Restart Grant. The following thresholds apply for these businesses:
- A rateable value of exactly £15,000 or under on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £8,000.
- A rateable value over £15,000 and less than £51,000 on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £12,000.
- A rateable value of exactly £51,000 or over on 1 April 2021 will receive a payment of £18,000.
Please note, eligibility to claim is subject to the following restrictions:
- Businesses that are not within the ratings system will not be eligible to receive funding under this scheme.
- Businesses that have already received grant payments that equal the maximum permitted subsidy allowances will not be eligible to receive funding. eastdevon.gov.uk/media/3722199/subsidy-allowance-further-reading.pdf
- Businesses that are in administration, insolvent or where a striking-off notice has been made, are not eligible for funding under this scheme.
- A table setting out the types of businesses that are eligible under the sector thresholds can be found within Annexe C of the guidance Restart Grant: guidance for local authorities (publishing.service.gov.uk). While not exhaustive this covers most of the businesses. If your business is not listed please contact us on Businessrates@eastdevon.gov.uk.
Every claim will be subject to anti-fraud assessment and account verification. Attempts to fraudulently claim public grant funding will result in funds being recovered and legal action being taken in every instance.
The funds can be accessed through a secure online claims system.
Click start to claim using the short form, if you already claimed in November
Start the journey
More info about the journey
Ensure you have read and understood the Government guidance.
Ensure you have read the rules on subsidy allowance.
- Your business rate bill account number - an 8 digit number which you can find on your business rates bill.
- Your details as registered rate payer.
- Your business details (including your company number, VAT number if registered, Unique Tax Reference number or charity number).
- Proof the Unique Tax Reference number you provide is correct (could be a letter from HMRC, page of your Tax Return or screenshot of your Government Gateway)
- Your bank account details and a photo or PDF of a bank statement to upload.
- Either a Utility bill, Insurance certificate or Tenancy/lease agreement.
We will process your Restart Grant application as quickly as possible.
If we have any questions about the information you have provided we will contact you directly.
We will notify you by email of the outcome and if successful we will make the payment by BACS transfer to the account details you have provided.