Guide Works to East Devon Trees

Show all parts of this guide

1. Works to protected trees

An application is needed to carry out works on trees which are protected by Tree Preservation Orders (TPO). TPOs are used to protect trees of a high amenity value or which have significant impact on the environment. TPOs are not intended to prevent reasonable works being carried out on trees but are designed to give us an element of control over works which might detract from the trees vitality and the public’s enjoyment of the local environment.  

To check if a tree has a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) please complete our on-line TPO enquiry form or call our Customer Service team on 01395 571710.

Restrictions on tree works also apply in conservation areas which are designated areas of historical and architectural interest usually centred around towns and villages. To check if a tree is in a conservation area please complete our on-line form 

There will sometimes be conditions attached to planning permissions requiring that trees be retained and safeguarded. Our written consent is also needed for any works on these trees. See our guidance on trees subject to planning conditions

To apply for permission to carry out the removal or pruning of protected trees you will need to complete an Application for Tree Works which is available to complete and submit on-line which we recommend. Alternatively, you can download an application, fill in by hand and deliver or post to us. 

The application form is available from the on-line Planning Portal and we recommend you read the portal's guide first Making an application on-line via the Planning Portal which will advise you how to complete the on-line form.

On-line form

  1. Register to use the Planning Portal
  2. Complete the on-line form. You will be asked to name your application. We advise using the tree location address. It helps us to identify your application when we receive it.
  3. Page 4 of the form provides a checklist of information and documents required to support your application.

Paper form

  1. Check you have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat on your computer to download, view and print the form.
  2. Download the form from the Planning Portal. Click on Paper Form Chooser. Add your address and click on Next to view the list of forms. Scroll to the last form on the list Tree Works: Trees in conservation areas / subject to TPOs
  3. Complete the form and deliver or post to Planning Dept, East Devon District Council, Blackdown House, Heathpark Industrial Estate, Honiton, Devon, EX14 1EJ, with the required supporting documents - see checklist on page 4 of the form.

 Please note there is no fee for submitting an Application for Works to Trees on-line or in paper format for tree works in a conservation area or a TCA/TPO.