Before you apply for Council Tax Support, see how much you might get off your Council Tax bill.
Use the Online Claim help sheet for tips on completing our application form.
You don't need to complete a full application form if:
- you are already in receipt of Housing Benefit and have had a change in circumstances which means you may now qualify for Council Tax Support as well
- you have recently applied for Housing Benefit (but not the Housing Element of Universal Credit) via the Department for Work and Pensions or the Pension Service and have been advised you need to claim Council Tax Support from us
instead complete a shortened claim form.
However, if you have recently applied for, or are in receipt of Universal Credit, please complete a full application form using the Start button below. You will need to provide your Universal Credit award letters to support your claim.
We are currently experiencing difficulties with our online claim form.
Please still complete your claim form, but if once you have completed all sections of your form, it fails to submit please contact us as soon as possible. You can email us with your details at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us on 01395 571770 and we will sort this out for you.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you
and we are working with our software suppliers to resolve this issue.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- National Insurance numbers for all adults.
- Payslips if you or your partner are employed. These can be sent via email to email@example.com. As we are unable to accept handwritten payslips, please ask your employer to complete a certificate of earnings.
- Self-employed accounts (latest). If these are not available, please complete the self-employed income sheet.
- Childcare charges. If you make regular payments to a registered childcare provider please complete a childcare charges form.
- Other income. Details of any pensions, benefits or tax credits you or your partner receive.
- Bank or building society accounts. Up to date balances, even if these are overdrawn. Remember to include ISAs, shares and premium bonds.
- Additional property or land you own in the UK or abroad.
- Your award letters if you are already in receipt of Universal Credit.
Appointee - if you want someone to deal with your Council Tax Support claim, please complete the appointee form with them.
When you submit this online claim you are agreeing to our terms and conditions.
We aim to process your claim within 14 days of you giving us all the information we need.
If evidence is needed, please supply this as quickly as possible. We will write or email to confirm what we require.
You can now email your evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can accept scanned images or photographs of your evidence.
The quicker you provide the information, the quicker we can process your application.
- Phone 01395 517446
- Visit the offices - the benefits team are at
Exmouth Town Hall, Monday to Friday from 9am to 4.30pm and Knowle, Sidmouth, Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm