Exmouth has required significant investment to halt a slow but steady decline and transform the town into a vibrant place that uses its environment to its advantage, strengthening its economy by expanding and diversifying its population and visitor numbers. This has been done through investment in improved infrastructure, housing, jobs, retail and leisure provision, tourism services and water access.
In 2010 and 2011 LDA Design consultants carried out a Town Centre and Seafront Masterplan exercise that set out a number of proposals for priority regeneration projects, development opportunities and complementary projects.
Another recommendation of the plan was to set up The Exmouth Regeneration Programme Board . Made up of representatives from all the main partners, this is the central body for shaping progress and ensuring all views are taken on board.
Over the last seven years progress has been made on several projects:
- The redevelopment of The Strand
- A 60 bed Premier Inn hotel development
- Major investment in the Exmouth Leisure Centre
- Orcombe Point Hub
- Refurbishment and development of Exmouth Pavilion
- Investment in LED Ocean providing extensive indoor children’s play facilities
- New toilets at Queen’s Drive
- An M&S food store
- A new HQ building for Exmouth Sea Cadets
- Redesign of the station entrance and improved pedestrian access to the town centre
- A new reconfigured Mamhead Slipway
- Extended and improved vehicle and trailer parking facilities at Camperdown Car Park
- Investment in Exmouth Town Hall and the relocation of a number of East Devon District Council staff to this location
- Queen's Drive Space - temporary uses of the redevelopment site